Monday, October 04, 2010

Making Baby Food!

With G&G I had to work. I nursed both of them, but they were both weaned by 7/8 months. They weaned themselves because they liked eating real food and lost the patience for nursing, especially because it put them to sleep! It broke my heart. So when I was pregnant with Evan I had a goal of no bottles. ever. Not that there is anything wrong with bottles. I am a firm believer that you do what is right for you, your baby, and your family. If that means bottle feeding then that is great. I am not judging or trying to push BFing, this is just what *I* wanted to do.
Anyway. We received Evan's diagnosis and all my plans of a natural birth, BFing, ect. went out the window. So when we found out about Carolina I wanted to see how long I could last with the no bottle thing. God had kind of showed me that I could set all the goals I wanted and make all the plans I wanted to, but He decides how things go.
Well, she is 6 months and 3 weeks old and she has never had a bottle. I am not going to say it has been easy. I have literally not been away from her for more than 2 or 2.5 hours. ever. Every mom needs breaks. Sean is good to kind of take over after he gets home so I can have a break. He feeds her her cereal in the evening and usually gives her a bath, things like that. He really seems to enjoy that time with her.
I decided that I wanted to try to make her baby food also. So we bought a food processor thing and some ice trays and some apples the other day. I have been reading online so I decided to just do a small batch to test it out.
I peeled and cut up the apples and put them in a pot with just enough water to cover them. I cooked them until they were soft. Then I put them in the food processor with just a little of the water and pureed them.

Then I poured it into ice cube trays and put saran wrap over the top. I think I am going to order some ice cube trays with lids, it would be so much easier.

Then I stuck them in the freezer.
After they froze, put them in a freezer bag and labeled what it is a when it was made.


I have one out thawing now. I will try to feed it to her later! I am just really loving this and feel so thankful that I am able to stay home and try all this stuff with her!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm glad your baby is older than mine and you get to test the waters before me. Hehe! I wanted to do this too, but I am worried it will be too much work. Kind of like the cloth diaper thing. It is a lot of work, but I'm doing it.

Donna said...

My daughter is doing the same thing and I so admire her persistance in doing such a healthy thing for her baby!! What a good mom you are!!